ABOUT: WHEN: Wednesdays -- May 3, May 10, May 17, May 24 TIME: 6:30pm-8:30pm Class Fee: $100 Class limited to 10 participants WHERE: Paonia Clayworks, behind the print shop (end of Grand). In this 4-week class, we will go over all aspects of finding, harvesting, processing, throwing and firing your own wild clay objects. We’ll process multiple clays, including those brought in by students, plan and execute multiple test fires, and experiment with different permutations of the wild clay including clay blends, glazes, additives, slips, terra sigillata and pit-wood fire!
Topics to be covered in the class include:
- Different types of wild clay
- How to identify clay
- How to process clay
- Handbuild vs Throw?
- Pit fire vs Kiln?
- Troubleshooting, problems I’ve seen
- Hands-on demo processing wild clay, from digging to throwing!
- We will dig and process clay- mine or bring your own!
- Lots of experimentation and cross-pollination
- We will do test fires of different clay bodies, including slips and glazes
- Bring your creativity - make anything from functional pieces to sculptures
Materials Fee: Dig your own! Local clay may be available for purchase (based on availability)
Teacher: This class is taught by studio member Pieter Van Winkle